In February of 2004, Mark Zuckerberg started thefacebook.com, a social network for college students, in his Harvard dorm room. At the time, TheFacebook was entering an arena with competitors such as Friendster, Myspace, and Google’s Orkut. Flash forward exactly 10 years and Zuckerberg’s college brainchild has come out victorious. Facebook is now one of the most used social networks in the world.
The Evolution of Facebook
Facebook’s appearance has undergone tremendous transformations throughout these past 10 years.
This is was the login page to Thefacebook back in 2005…
…and this is what a typical profile looked like. Notice how simple it looks – no games, no advertisements, no messaging system.
This is what Mark Zuckerberg’s profile looked like in 2006. “Thefacebook” changed to the currently used name of “Facebook.” The profile page looks relatively the same besides the addition of the friends list, side advertisement, and revamped top banner.
The biggest change in 2006 was the launch of the newsfeed, which provided users with a centralized timeline of their friends’ activities.
In 2009, Facebook had a completely new makeover. Check it out:
2010 came with a more virtual profile page by adding a row of recently tagged photos below the users’ name:
In 2011, Facebook revamped the profile page yet again with the introduction of the timeline, intended to serve as a virtual timeline of the user’s life. This is also what current profile pages look like:
And finally, this is the current Facebook newsfeed that we all know and love:
Here are 10 fun facts about to celebrate 10 long years, courtesy of Facebook itself.
- 201.6 billion friend connections since February 2004
- 1.23 billion monthly active users as of December 2013
- 945 million active users who used Facebook mobile products as of December 2013
- More than 6 billion Likes per day on average in December 2013
- 400 billion photos shared on Facebook since October 2005
- 7.8 trillion messages sent through Facebook since the start of 2012
- 77.2 billion all-time location-tagged photos as of January 2014
- Approximately 81% of daily active users are outside of the U.S. and Canada as of December 2013
- Over 25 million small business Pages as of November 2013
- 6,337 employees worldwide as of December 2013
A Look Back
In celebration of the company’s 10th anniversary, Mark Zuckerberg and the Facebook team have created personalized one minute videos of their users’ top posts and photos throughout their years on Facebook.
To view your own video, visit facebook.com/lookback or just click here.
Facebook has come a long way since its beginning stages inside an Ivy League dorm room. Do you think think Facebook will have another happy 10 years? If you enjoyed this post, check out this edition Trivia Tuesday for 3 facts you didn’t know about Facebook. Also, be sure to check out Sprinklebit for more updates and investment tips!