European problems have dragged down the markets regardless of positive job reports of 257,000 jobs being added. The downgrade of Greece’s long-term sovereign debt rating from B to B- by the Standard & Poor have left investors reeling in poor confidence. A looming deadline has also left many worried of Greece defaulting as they have until February 16th to apply for an extension on their bailout. Red across the board with both the Dow and S&P 500 down -0.34%. The Nasdaq fell -0.43%, even though earning reports and other factors helped rallies during the week. Oil futures garnered a 7.2% increase in the week, backed by a strong performance for the dollar. Gold did not fare as well, sinking 3.5% for the week and gold delivery fell 2.2% to settle at $1,234.60 for April.
- Revenue was $479 million, up 97% on a year-over-year basis, blowing away analyst expectations of $453.6 million.
- Adjusted earnings per share were $0.12, which was double analyst expectations of $0.12.
- Twitter had 288 million average monthly active users, which was short of 292 million, which was expected by analysts.
- The stock was up 10.4% after Twitter’s earnings call ended.
- Twitter executives said they expect a sequential increase in users that is comparable to the first three quarters of 2014. That would lead to ~14.3 million users for Q1, which would lead to 302.3 million monthly active users in the first quarter of the year.
- One curious stand out from the report: Twitter said it lost 4 million users to an iOS 8 bug.
- Google will be getting access to Twitter’s data hose and it will start surfacing tweets in search.
Last Week’s Markets
U.S. Markets: Dow Jones Industrial Average: -0.34%, S&P500: -0.34%, NASDAQ: -0.43%
European Markets: FTSE 100: -0.18%, DAX: -0.54%, CAC 40: -0.26%
Asian Markets: Asia Dow: -1.93%, Nikkei 225: +0.82%, Hang Seng: -0.35%
Economic Release Results
Prior Revised: $-39.0 B
Actual: $-46.6 B
New Claims : Prior:265 K
Actual: 278 K
Week In Earnings
What To Look Out For
Notable Earnings Releases
Argo Group International Holdings Ltd ($AGII)
Compass Minerals International Inc ($CMP)
Credicorp Ltd ($BAP)
Dun & Bradstreet Corp ($DNB)
Hasbro Inc ($HAS)
NetEase Inc ($NTES)
Arch Capital Group Ltd ($ACGL)
CVS Health Corp ($CVS)
Federal Realty Investment Trust ($FRT)
Omnicom Group Inc ($OMC)
PG&E Corp ($PCG)
Pioneer Natural Resources Co ($PXD)
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc ($REGN)
USANA Health Sciences Inc ($USNA)
Zillow Inc ($Z)
Baidu Inc ($BIDU)
Metlife Inc ($MET)
NetApp Inc ($NTAP)
Orbitz Worldwide Inc ($OWW)
Panera Bread Co ($PNRA)
PepsiCo Inc ($PEP)
Whole Foods Market Inc ($WFM)
Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc ($DPS)
Notable Economic Events